Saturday, June 1, 2013

Lone Wolf, by Kathryn Lasky

Lone Wolf

Written by Kathryn Lasky, Narrated by Erik Davies

Reason for Reading: I rather liked the Ga'Hoole books, so I thought I'd try this series out, too. 

Genre: Juvenile Fantasy / Anthropomorphism

Review
As an infant cub, Faolin was taken from his mother and abandoned to die. He was found by a bear who nursed him through childhood. Now as a young wolf, Faolin is once again on his own and he must find a way to rejoin his own kind. This was a cute little story, and I enjoyed it. But I don't think I would have enjoyed it half as much if I hadn't read the Ga'Hoole books first. Although the story of Faolin is independent of the three story lines in the Ga'Hoole series, Lasky's world-building in this book was a bit dependent upon the other books. The world would have seemed confusing and frustrating to me if I didn't already know all about it from the Ga'Hoole books. This is why I gave the book only 3.5 stars even though I thought it was really sweet. I will continue with this series myself, but I recommend to all of you - continue with this book if you loved the Ga'Hoole books as I did. But if you haven't read the Ga'Hoole books, start there. :) 

2 comments:

  1. One of the few genres I don't do is animal stories. I hated Watership Down and Call Of The Wild as a girl (and still do) as I always ended up in floods of tears. Call me weird (my husband does) as crime fiction is one of my favourites, the gorier, the more descriptive, the forensics, the better but I can't abide it when animals are involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I tend to avoid "realistic" books with animals in them because the animals always end up dying. But anthropomorphic books don't tend to be as depressing to me.

      Delete

What do you think? I love getting comments!