Friday, January 25, 2013

The Princess and the Goblin, by George MacDonald

The Princess and the Goblin, by George MacDonald

Reason for Reading: Group read with Simpler Pastimes

Review
This classic fairy-tale-style story is set in a land where the Goblins and Humans have had a "cold war" for many, many years. Long ago, the Goblins threatened that some day they will steal a princess...and their day finally comes when Princess Irene's nurse accidentally keeps the Princess out after sunset. Luckily, they are rescued by a miner's boy, Curdie - but now the Goblins know where the Princess lives and what she looks like. When the Goblins hatch a devious plot, Curdie and Irene become fast-friends as they act in turn as heroes. First and foremost, this is a fairy-tale. But it is also an allegory about faith. Princess Irene has a great-great-grandmother - a mysterious and heavenly woman that only she can see. Irene's very-great grandmother gives the Princess a magical string and tells her to follow the string whenever she's afraid - never doubting it or deviating from it, regardless of where it may take her. Irene must learn to have faith even when she thinks that the string has led her astray. And Curdie must learn to have faith in a very-great grandmother that he has never seen.  This is a sweet story, nice for reading aloud to young children. 

7 comments:

  1. Does the Children's Classic challenge only go for January? It sounds like a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim! I'm afraid this particular Children's Classics challenge ends in January. But there's a year-long one here:

      http://turningthepagesx.blogspot.ca/2012/12/2013-pre-1960-classic-childrens-books.html

      You can sign up for it if you want. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I've just found your blog on Book Blogs and I'm now a proud new follower, do drop by mine @ Book a World too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicia! Thanks for stopping by. I'll check out your blog in just a moment. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a terrific story that I somehow missed during my childhood. I like children's stories that involve allegory and I love stories with magic and fanciful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian! I don't know how I missed this one in childhood. But I also love books with allegory and magic. :)

      Delete
  4. I wasn't sure how this one was going to go, but was pleased to discover how sweet it was. I liked too that the message about faith was clear but not really "preachy"--MacDonald lets the reader get it without feeling the need to point it out directly. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love getting comments!