Monday, December 17, 2012

Three Men in a Boat, by Jerome K. Jerome

2012 Book 168: Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)

Written by Jerome K. Jerome, Narrated by Frederick Davidson

Reason for Reading: This was my "monthly random pick" which took me two months to get to. :) My next "monthly random pick" is The Passage, by Justin Cronin. This book is a classic, so it fits in my Classics Club list. :) 

Review
In this classic novel of humor, three men (to say nothing of the dog) decide to cure their hypochondriac ailments by getting fresh air and exercise. They decide to travel down the Thames in a boat. The narrator jumps back and forth between humorous description of their preparations/trip and silly reminiscences of loosely connected incidents about the characters. This is the type of book where, at the end, you're not sure if there was any story in there at all, but you certainly enjoyed the trip regardless. It was a good-natured, happy sort of humor. This is a short book, and certainly worth reading if you like the classics. :)



6 comments:

  1. I read it this year and had to wonder what took me so long. Loved the humour and the travelogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a book that was really on my radar until recently, but I'm so glad I found it!

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of this one, sunds good. Thanks for reviewing.

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cute little book. You should check it out if you like humor. :)

      Delete
  3. This is such a funny book! I really enjoyed it. I read Connie Willis' "To Say Nothing of the Dog" shortly after I read this one, as she plays with this story in her tale of time travellers -- also very amusing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the reason this book popped up on my radar is because of "To Say Nothing of the Dog." I thought I'd read this one first, since I like to catch literary allusions. :) I plan on reading Willis' book this coming year.

      Delete

What do you think? I love getting comments!