Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Horse and His Boy, by C. S. Lewis

2012 Book 153: The Horse and His Boy, by C. S. Lewis

Reason for Reading: Fifth Book (publication order) of the Chronicles of Narnia

Review*****
Shasta grew up as practically a slave to his "father," until he meet a talking horse. Bree (the horse) has been kidnapped from Narnia, a foreign land that Shasta has never heard of. Bree is convinced that Shasta, too, has been taken from Narnia. They escape together, and have many adventures on the way to Narnia. This book takes place during the original reign of High King Peter and his brother and sisters. It was a delightful little book, and complements the Narnia series quite well. I DID have a good laugh at the rather xenophobic treatment of Archenland--most people from this land were portrayed as corrupt, degenerate, and evil. By the way they dressed and some of their habits, Lewis clearly meant for Archenland to be similar to the Orient. This snafu made me chuckle a little bit, since I took into consideration the age in which Lewis was writing...and that he was writing about a fantasy land. In the end, I enjoyed this book just as much as the other books in the series. It is fun, cute, and a delight to read.

4 comments:

  1. That's one of my favourite in the series! Nice to see another country besides Narnia, and with a completely different life there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it (and The Silver Chair) are probably my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my favourite as a child. First off, it starred a horse :) plus it was one of the few in the series that I owned & so could reread to my heart's content.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, owning the book does help. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love getting comments!